HB 598 just got scheduled for House Second Reading for tomorrow (Friday). The House floor session begins at 1:00 PM.
So, you have until 1 PM tomorrow to get messages to your and any other House members asking them to please support HB 598.
HB 598 would require that if your RKBA is infringed by a governmental entity and you file a corrective lawsuit, the courts must require the infringement to pass the highest level of judicial scrutiny, AND, if you prevail, your court costs and attorney fees are paid.
HB 598 is the bill that Northwestern Energy so inappropriately testified against. They may still be working against it behind the scenes.
Here are my talking points for HB 598. Use whatever you like:
1) Let the people vote. HB 598 is a referendum, so it would only put the question before the people of Montana for a vote at next year’s general election. Let the voters decide. Anyone against HB 598 is against voters’ freedom of choice.
2) In D.C. v. Heller, the US Supreme Court determined that the RKBA is a fundamental right. Fundamental rights are already determined as needing the highest level of judicial scrutiny for infringement, so HB 598 is no great departure from the status quo. It just makes sure the courts have gotten the message (and awards attorney fees and court costs for successful litigants).
3. Our RKBA is precious and cherished in Montana. It deserves this policy to be declared in law.
4. For Republicans, the special importance of the RKBA is in the Republican platform. Ahem, the Democrats don’t have a platform plank about the RKBA – unfortunately, they tend to be selective about what constitutional rights they like and support.
5. The only real opposition to HB 598 was from Northwestern Energy and the few other abetters they rounded up. Should we allow an out-of-state corporation to determine our civil rights in Montana?
GET THE MESSAGES IN!!
Especially to these four critical Representatives:
Get messages to legislators via the Message Center, 444-4800, or with the Online Message Form at: